Who doesn’t love a good manicure…actually, our wallet doesn’t. For those of us who don’t live on “five dollar manicure” avenue, there is this step by step guide for the perfect spa treatment at home.
1) Relax: Put on some calming music for that spa atmosphere at home.
2) Take off old polish. Out with the old, in with the new!
3) File nails to desired shape. What looks modern now is a shortish nail,straight across the top with rounded edges. File your nails in one direction starting at the edges and moving toward the top.
4) Fill up the sink, pop in a few pumps of moisturizing soap and soak for a few minutes to soften the cuticles.
5) Dot a cuticle cream on the cuticles and rub, rub, rub.
6) Use an orange wood stick to push back your cuticles. These can be purchased at drugstores, but you can use your nail if things call for desperate measures.
7) Massage hands with lotion. This is the best part!
8) Wipe nails with a damp cloth to remove excess oil. If you skip this step, your nail polish will probably not stick to the nail as well or stay on.
9) Apply a base coat. Let dry for one minute to avoid “streaky” polish.
10) Apply two coats of your favorite color. Always apply polish by starting on the side of the nail. You should be able to cover the nail in three stokes, one on each side and one in the middle.
11) Apply a top coat. Remember, if you apply a quick dry top coat, your polish will not last as long because these formulas tend to be thinner.
12) Hit the streets and show off your salon quality and wallet friendly manicure!